Thursday, March 6, 2014

Tonsillectomy

I am going to post about when the kids and I actually made the move and show pictures of our new digs but I forgot to post a big event that happened in December.

Jilli had a tonsillectomy. Sadly I don't have photos, well I do but they are really REALLY terrible. The surgery was after I lost my camera and Terry with his camera phone was traveling, I bought a disposable camera to use but it went through the scanner at the airport when we moved here so all the pictures are ruined . . .long story, the point, I don't have pictures.

 It was sort of a surprise surgery.  Jilli has had trouble with sleep apnea her whole life. She woke herself up all night long every night because she couldn't breathe well. Terry and I knew that surgery was something we would need to seriously consider. Every time she goes in for a well child the doctor tells us we should do something about it. WELL we made and appointment in October for her to visit the ENT at the beginning of December. It was just going to be a check/recommendation appointment. Terry was traveling in Charlotte that week, but no big deal I can handle a doctors appointment.

Well the short story is, at the appointment the Doc says, she needs the surgery, you have met your deductible and should try to get it done before the end of the year before you move to Charlotte, and the only open spot I have is tomorrow morning at 6 am. AND since she is so young it will be an overnight stay in the hospital.

Holy moly! Talk about a few crazy hours! Terry is across the U.S. and baby girl is going in for surgery! Luckily my parents helped with the other kids and my dad was able to come give Jilli a blessing. My mom came over that morning to get the other kids off to school, then picked them up, ran them to their various activities and took them to her house for a sleep over that night. Huge blessing!

Jilli and I got to the hospital at 6am. Got checked in and everything went really smoothly until they came to wheel her away. I had tried to prepare her that they were going to take her through the big doors and that I couldn't go with her but that I would meet her in there after a little bit.  She was okay with it until it came right down to doing it. It was SOOOO hard as a mom to let them push my baby girl away from me and try to keep a brave face as she was sobbing and hanging onto me, wanting to stay with me because she was so afraid. I had to smile and say, "Remember it's okay, because I will meet you in there in just a little bit." I gave her lots of kisses and told her to give me a high five (her way of parting with us to show she's okay and she will be brave) and she gathered herself enough to do it and they whisked her off before she could protest again. Then I went into the waiting room and cried my eyes out. YOu always expect everything in surgery will go fine and great but there is always that little voice in your mom head saying, "but what if it doesn't" and that is terrifying!!!

The surgery only lasted about 40 minutes. the doctor was great about coming right out and telling me things went great. I was able to go back and see her pretty quickly. She did not come out of anesthesia well. She was crying and started throwing up, not a good plan when they just made huge holes in the back of your throat. She just wanted me to hold her so I climbed right on the bed with her and held her in my lap. SHe fell asleep and I just laid there with her. They just wheeled me holding her on the bed everywhere they needed us to be. That night was rough, but overnight stays in the hospital usually are. OUr hospital does a great job, but being there is still never pleasant. We got to go home the next afternoon and start recovery.
Recovery was pretty awful too. Poor baby girl lost so much weight and she really didn't have any to start with. She was pretty good about drinking ( I had to force it but she would do it) but swallowing food was a different story. It took her a solid 2 weeks before she would eat again.

Overall it went really well. She is fully recovered now and sleeps like an angel. I'm glad we did it!  The timing was stressful and the fact that Terry was gone was really hard but its done now and I am thankful!

No comments: